This is an email I wrote to my wife when we were engaged to be married. She was in Canada. I was in California establishing residency—a necessary part of the immigration process.
I post it here because I never want to forget it.
Let me count the ways…
- Because of the way I grin when I can hear you laughing in my head
- Because you laugh so much
- Because of the way you look when you dance
- Because we make up with each other almost better than we fight with each other
- Because make up sex with you will be probably the best thing ever
- Because I want to get over myself and make up with you
- Because the way you sing
- Because I want to sing with you so bad
- Because our kids will grow up hearing us sing all their lives
- Because you admire me (though it’s often communicated as fear or competition)
- Back to the make up sex thing
- Because I asked God for a wife that would honestly make me laugh
- You are truly good at being funny. like, clever and insightful comedy… nothing gets me more
You are the woman I want to be with forever. I refuse to live my life without you, you’ve said yes, so you’re mine, and I WIN! after tonight, 14 more sleeps. Are we there yet?
Sincerely, Your personal muscly armed paper boy